Eukanuba has been a producer of premium quality dog foods since 1969. The term “Eukanuba” has its origins in the 1940s American jazz culture. It was used as an eccentric way of describing something as supremely good, great, or the best. The philosophy adopted by the Eukanuba brand is that where dogs are obviously a man’s best friend, they deserve the very best health and nutrition.
There are fundamental cornerstones to the Eukanuba dog food formulation. Dogs, for the most part, are carnivores, therefore animal proteins form the basis of diets rather than vegetables. Additional ingredients and nutrients are then used to serve specific purposes:
- As a vital part of their digestive system, it is imperative to maintain dog’s intestinal health to ensure overall health and well-being. Prebiotics are included for precisely this reason, as they sustain the “good” bacteria found in the gut. This bacteria then overwhelms the “bad” bacteria, forcing them out. The cells in the intestinal lining are supported as well, as moderately fermentable fibre is also provided. A healthy gut lining defends against allergic problems, and this ensures better digestive performance and overall health.
- Rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene, the diets are also formed to support the immune system.
- Skin requires good nutritional support to function as a vital defence barrier. That’s why nutrients like omega-6, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, copper and biotin are carefully formulated into the diets, ensuring a healthy coat and skin.
- Bones and joints need to be supported in all stages of a dog’s life. Eukanuba puppy and adult diets have the right balance of vitamins, minerals and energy content to achieve this.
- Bad breath, gingivitis and many other oral problems are usually down to tartar build up in your dog’s mouth. Special minerals called polyphosphates are included in the formula to prevent and fight the build up of tartar on the tooth surface.
Eukanuba has a range of specialised diets called “life stage diets”. These are produced for different stages of growth and development as well as alternate breed sizes. Eukanuba Puppy Food, for instance, suits the needs of growing puppies by having a specific balance of nutrients and calorific value. This is available for small and larger breeds of dogs. Of course, adult and older dogs have subtly different nutrient profile needs, hence there are other life stage diets available.
Different breeds require different levels of nutrients too. Eukanuba understand this and have had the best possible diets manufactured for the different recognised breeds.
As Eukanuba recognise the importance of health, they also have a range of therapeutic veterinary diets available. These diets are usually recommended by vets to run alongside an overall treatment plan, as they are understood to help treat different health problems. There are diets specialised to help deal with skin, kidney, bladder and intestinal conditions as well as dietary allergies.
Eukanuba is renowned for providing one of the most scientifically researched and extensive diet ranges around, offering top quality food for our best friends.